Thursday 11 January 2007

ADSL Over 5kms

OK, I have been struggling to get ADSL at my address on the outskirts of St Albans (BT exchange LBNSTB) for several years now.

We are just south of St Albans and live about 1km down a lane serviced by cable up poles (with a couple of dives underground to avoid overhead power cables). Unfortunately the BT exchange is located just on the north side of town and therefore our measured line length is about 5.3km.

I wanted a spot to document my efforts to get ADSL, partly to help me remember what I have tried, but I also hope it may help others to get ADSL on their marginal line.

I want to make it clear I am not in this to bash BT - I think they do a good job (I also still own a few shares from the old privatisation days). It is just that with the current state of the market and the technology it is not feasible to make ADSL available to all.

I want to understand the factors that might prevent you getting ADSL on a long line and what you can do to mitigate these factors.

I currently have broadband - via a two-way satellite link which cost about £1800 to install, £69 per month to rent and is probably not as good as a £14.99 512Kb/s ADSL link. I am happy with satellite compared with the old dial up connection I had, but to run an it consultancy and internet educational toy store from home really requires something a little quicker.

No comments: